PDA

View Full Version : Ranger Engine Noise

Scantek
23-10-2011, 09:30 AM
Hi all

I have a little issue with the engine in my PJ Ranger engine making a funny noise.

Under excelleration it has what is best described as a loud tweet or even a loud sticky lifter. This noise rises as the revs rise at the same rate. As the load comes off the motor the noise disappears. Only happens when under excelleration or load. If I rev the engine in neutral with no load there is no noise.

Last weekend I did have to rev the engine quite hard to get out of a sticky situation and it started after that.

Could the timing belt have slipped a tooth and this be the cause?
I'm thinking that this noise may be related to the timing advance under excelleration. I'm going to get it checked out by my mechanic at the earliest I can get it in any way.

Has any one had this problem before or have any ideaa's what it could be.

Thanks in advance

Russ

stout250
23-10-2011, 09:36 AM
By tweet do you mean a whistle? or is it a fast tapping or chirping noise?

Scantek
23-10-2011, 09:45 AM
By tweet do you mean a whistle? or is it a fast tapping or chirping noise?

Yeah its a chirping noise.

It sounds a bit like a street racers blow off valve, that same chirp but only on 1 cylinder only.

If it were a vaccum advance prob could it be back firing and that be the noise?

4.2BeautUte
23-10-2011, 09:55 AM
Boost leak? intercooler hose, or intercooler?

RoaDKilL
23-10-2011, 10:20 AM
turbo diesel? id say boost leak. id guess like jeff said check your intercooler hoses, boostlines etc

RoaDKilL
23-10-2011, 10:23 AM
also check your exhaust in the engine bay too could be an exhaust leak?

stout250
23-10-2011, 11:17 AM
A mate's D22 TD nav had a similar problem that came on with boost, was the gasket on a return line leaking boost...

I would have thought the timing would be held with gears instead of a belt for strength... Don;t quote me on it though

Scantek
23-10-2011, 12:08 PM
A mate's D22 TD nav had a similar problem that came on with boost, was the gasket on a return line leaking boost...

I would have thought the timing would be held with gears instead of a belt for strength... Don;t quote me on it though
Yeah it's not a gasket leak or exhaust leak any where I can see. It's not that sort of sound any way.

The return line gasket leak would be more a constant sound I would think and not a tick tick sound and I would think may be it would be detectable reving in neutral as well.

If I didn't know better I would say it was a big end but it's not as it would be detectable at idle and as the engine was reved out of gear.

The timing is by the way of a timing belt on the front of the engine. I have heard that when reved high in some cases the belt can jump a tooth or mmmmmm. Maybe the adjuster is not keeping enough tension on the belt????? Now there's a thought.....

Rosie
23-10-2011, 12:11 PM
How hard were you revving it to jump a tooth on the timing belt?

Exhaust leaks often make a clicking sound.

4.2BeautUte
23-10-2011, 12:12 PM
You still have not said if it's a diesel or petrol... It's not your timing, if it was timing it would run like crap.

You'd be surprised what a boost leak can sound like, sometimes they sound like metal on metal. And that fact that it happens under load (if it is a TD) means it's happening while on boost.

Scantek
23-10-2011, 12:22 PM
You still have not said if it's a diesel or petrol... It's not your timing, if it was timing it would run like crap.

You'd be surprised what a boost leak can sound like, sometimes they sound like metal on metal. And that fact that it happens under load (if it is a TD) means it's happening while on boost.

Sorry. It's a 3.0 turbo deisel engine.

Yeah it was pretty high like red line high Rosie.

I don't normally treat an engine like that but extreme situation required it at the time.

Intercooler and hoses are all fine and no leaks either.

I have checked all the hoses & clamps, gaskets and the regular things that would or could be leaking.

I am hoping it's not a fuel rail or a fuel pump at this stage as that is some serious $ to repair on a common rail deisel.

Scantek
23-10-2011, 12:35 PM
Booking it in to my mechanic next week so he will sort it out.... hopefully....

Bit of luck it won't be too costly.....

landy
24-10-2011, 11:29 AM
Actuator on the variable vain turbo.

LUX OFF
24-10-2011, 03:24 PM
And that fact that it happens under load (if it is a TD) means it's happening while on boost.

x2 i would be looking at a boost leak timing belt would make it loose power if anything and wouldnt make a noise. if it was big ends im sure it would be getting worse as you drive. i have notices that most rangers seem to have a soot build up on top off the oil filter right under the rear section of the turbo so might have broken from there

moffatt
24-10-2011, 03:43 PM
bloke at work has a BT-50 (same vehicle as they only come in the 3L diesel) and has had what sounds like the same issue. his is still under warranty and he took it back to mazda and they said it is a known problem and it's actually the gearbox. he didn't go further into it as he's not very mechanically minded but did say it was a bearing fault. must be spinning a bearing in the housing.
hope not as this won't be a cheap fix unless you still have warranty.

Nick

Bushranger1
24-10-2011, 04:20 PM
must be spinning a bearing

It won't get far doing that mate :smt048. Hilux owners have been going on for ever about Mazda gear boxes but the fact is they are just as good/bad as any others in the class.

Scantek
24-10-2011, 08:01 PM
Hi all

Well put it in this arvo to see what's going on.

One thing that my mechanic did find was where the EGR valve attaches a bolt had come loose and fallen out. the metal gasket was leaking so he fixed that. The pipe that attaches to the EGR goes around behind the engine and disapears into the maise of where ever. He replaced both gaskets on this pipe. The Ford dealer had a stock of these so it must be a common problem. That was fixed.:smile: with that.
Put it on the scan guage and nothing showed up.

Problem still there.

As he did not have any more time to go further today and it being a short week over here, it is going back next week to look into this further. He seems to think it is an exhaust/boost leak some where behind the engine but will need to pull a few things out to find it as there is quite a lot of plumbing etc to get through.

One thing he did say was when they were checking things, there is a diafram or something in the EGR valve?? and when he pushed this that sounded like the noise. So being a sealed unit (suprise suprise) they will look at this next week and check other seals etc as well. Could have a small leak on the exhaust side as well.

So all of you that suggested a gasket boost/exhaust leak thank you. You may well be correct. In 50 years I have never heard a noise like that from an exhaust leak. You learn something new every day.

Another thing he suggested it could be that he has seen on Navara's is, apparently there is a rubber hose or hoses somewhere on top or behind the motor that carry boost and with age and oil on the rubber they go soft and don't seal giving the same sound as I have. Has had a few in with this problem also.

So any way it looks like we are well on the way to fixing this. It's looking more like a faulty EGR I am lead to beleave.

Will post up the out come.

Many thanks

Russ
Said it's not a terminal thing so still safe to drive for now.

moffatt
24-10-2011, 08:39 PM
It won't get far doing that mate :smt048. Hilux owners have been going on for ever about Mazda gear boxes but the fact is they are just as good/bad as any others in the class.

obviously. it's not a dig because i am a hilux owner, i'm not biased in anyway. just passing on information to try and help. take it as you like.

get your mechanic to check out the EGR cooler itself while he's there. mine is on the fourth one but it's a bit of an extreme case. all the best with the fix.

Nick

stalker
24-10-2011, 08:49 PM
could be somthing simple as a loose fan belt

stalker
24-10-2011, 08:51 PM
oh and ford ranger's are noisy even from new.. eg "rattly engines"

Scantek
24-10-2011, 09:45 PM
oh and ford ranger's are noisy even from new.. eg "rattly engines"

Cheers Stalker

Mines done about 138000km and it's not rattly yet. Apart from the cricket in the engine.....
Yeah mechanic I have is pretty switched on with Ford's as he did his apprenticeship at the Ford dealer here. And not just Ford's either.

I do run 200:1 2stroke in the fuel and that does quiet down the deisel rattle quite a bit.

The company I work for runs a fleet of Hilux's and they all rattle a lot more than my Ranger does and some are near new.

stalker
24-10-2011, 10:04 PM
yeah my mate got a new ranger 6 months ago from center ford it rattles like hell , he took it back to the dealer and they told him the rattles is just normal for them ,,but my brother has one and it doesnt rattle ,, so i think he got a lemon engine

mandino
24-10-2011, 10:07 PM
I think your intercooler is leaking, it will have split on the bottom where the core joins the bottom.

Check for oil around the bottom of cooler/bashplate, If there is oil there have a closer look and you will see how the core has seperated.

moffatt
25-10-2011, 06:38 AM
sorry i should of explained myself a little better. my work ute (Ranger) has done 3 EGR coolers on it's fourth, not the hilux, it doesn't have EGR.
ford tried the 'it's a diesel, they rattle' on me as well when i complained of a rattle in the dash. i think they should of realised that wasn't going to fly when they know full well i am a diesel mechanic.

Nick

Scantek
31-10-2011, 06:15 PM
G'Day all

Well Ranger is back in action. Faulty EGR Valve was the culprit.

They did find a bolt missing the EGR pipe where it bolts on one end and a slight warp in the EGR pipe but with a little filing of the flange face, new gasket and EGR valve it sounds all sweet again.

Cheers

Russ