2 replies to this topic

#1 Shelley6148

Shelley6148

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 05:45 PM

Hi all!

Am looking at joining the 4X4 scene, with a purchase of a 2nd hand Jeep Wrangler the front runner for chosen steed.

My question is... Is there a km amount / limit I should be aware of, before the Jeep starts costing massive dollars in maintenance?

My last car (German kit) generally started its downward spiral at 150,00k - so you generally moved it on before then as the really big stuff was starting to need replacing shortly thereafter.

Most of the second hand Jeeps are already around 150,000 kms though? (I'm looking at spending up to $20k - ish?)

And what are the common dangers / issues to keep an eye out for / ask about with these cars? (I'm choosing a wrangler as apparently they're quite easy to work on - and there are plenty of parts available?

Any advice would be HUGELY appreciated!

#2 DaveW Preggy Surf

DaveW Preggy Surf

• Members
  • 1027 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 04:08 PM

Plenty of options for Jeeps.
But many wranglers will have already been modded along the way.
Look for a show pony - one that has done little to no offroad.
You cannot help but dent and scrape a bit off road, so check the chassis rails, and guards underneath, bottom of diffs for scrape marks etc.
Not necessarily anything to worry about, it will just tell you if it has been used off-road much.
Can't really comment on the 150k bit - not my scene.
But I wpuld always get a professional check done if I was spending that much.
I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my father - not screaming in terror like the passengers in the car he was driving at the time.1985 FJ62 Sahara on gas 2" higher in the tail. Nuthin' else.

#3 Shelley6148

Shelley6148

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 11:26 PM

Hey Dave,

Thanks for the advice!

A 'show pony' I shall go searching for :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users