• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Heidi

Heidi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 08:32 AM

Hi all. I'm Heidi from Pingelly.To be honest I have joined the forum with a single question.

I've had terrible luck with vehicles over the last couple of years and I'm looking to end that streak. I've had a Mazda Tribute a Nissan Pathfinder and Subaru Outback die after a year or less ownership. All repairable but cost of repairs is to high given the value of the vehicles.

I've been scouring the internet for info and their is so much conflicting information that contradicts each other it makes my brain hurt and is just making me more frustrated. Just when I think an "80 series landcruiser" is the best option another article will say how bad they are and all the problems they come with. Or the diesel version is great and petrol not good.

So my question is simple.

If you had to buy a vehicle for a small female.

• $10 000 (or under)
  • Automatic. Wagon (not ute)
  • Drives mainly highway or country driving. with a little running around in the city once a week. About 400kms a week highway driving.
  • Short range daily Dirt road driving and driving on property that can get sloppy and a tad boggy. About 10km a day or so dirt road driving.
  • Has to fit 3 large dogs, groceries, the occasional bags of cement etc
  • Sometimes (but not often) tows a moderately heavy trailer (about car trailer with car size/weight) only 2-3 times a year at most.
  • Tows a light 6x4 trailer to the tip every week or 2
  • Economy is not a primary consideration, but it'd be nice.
  • Easy to look after and won't tap out my credit card every time some minor issue is identified.

I'm not mechanically minded or trained but do check fluids etc every week before the run down to Perth and get vehicles serviced professionally every 6 months. (which to be honest I think sometimes causes problems)

The vehicle doesn't need to be a pretty girls car or be an off road monster. Just an all around vehicle that won't get trashed on dirt roads and won't fall apart on the highway because I load 1 bag of cement to much in the back..

Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I'm at my wits end with cars. Ask me any questions you think is relevant.

Thanks for taking the time to read all this and hopefully respond.

• greybeard likes this

#2 Unleashed V12s

Unleashed V12s

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationDARWIN M8 stalking Emma who is on the other side of australia

Posted 20 August 2017 - 06:54 AM

Hi all. I'm Heidi from Pingelly.To be honest I have joined the forum with a single question.

I've had terrible luck with vehicles over the last couple of years and I'm looking to end that streak. I've had a Mazda Tribute a Nissan Pathfinder and Subaru Outback die after a year or less ownership. All repairable but cost of repairs is to high given the value of the vehicles.

I've been scouring the internet for info and their is so much conflicting information that contradicts each other it makes my brain hurt and is just making me more frustrated. Just when I think an "80 series landcruiser" is the best option another article will say how bad they are and all the problems they come with. Or the diesel version is great and petrol not good.

So my question is simple.

If you had to buy a vehicle for a small female.

• $10 000 (or under)
  • Automatic. Wagon (not ute)
  • Drives mainly highway or country driving. with a little running around in the city once a week. About 400kms a week highway driving.
  • Short range daily Dirt road driving and driving on property that can get sloppy and a tad boggy. About 10km a day or so dirt road driving.
  • Has to fit 3 large dogs, groceries, the occasional bags of cement etc
  • Sometimes (but not often) tows a moderately heavy trailer (about car trailer with car size/weight) only 2-3 times a year at most.
  • Tows a light 6x4 trailer to the tip every week or 2
  • Economy is not a primary consideration, but it'd be nice.
  • Easy to look after and won't tap out my credit card every time some minor issue is identified.

I'm not mechanically minded or trained but do check fluids etc every week before the run down to Perth and get vehicles serviced professionally every 6 months. (which to be honest I think sometimes causes problems)

The vehicle doesn't need to be a pretty girls car or be an off road monster. Just an all around vehicle that won't get trashed on dirt roads and won't fall apart on the highway because I load 1 bag of cement to much in the back..

Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I'm at my wits end with cars. Ask me any questions you think is relevant.

Thanks for taking the time to read all this and hopefully respond.

Hi Hedi

Toyota 80 series

GXL if possible (more power #Turbo and looks and rides nicer)

They are usually priced 5-20K

Dad has one with about 1,380,000 KMS on it, so they go forever

Dont cook (overheat) them they dont like it, dad had to got one rebuilt

generally dont use oil

In my opinion stop servicing every 6 months and do it every 6 years, unless you do a shitload of driving 

Toyota made them in a Automatic version, but they are very thirsty and have no power (compared to the manual version)

Try to get one that hast been lifted, mainly because you wont be able to fit in underground car parks and its more thirsty

Ask how long ago the front cv's/axles, and flanges were replaced, because the 80 series with over a mill kms stripped one one day, but they are easy to fix 

If it can get a lil' boggy the GXL will be perfect 'cos it is all wheel drive (constant), if you get bogged or in the unlikely event of stripping a cv, just press the diff lock on the dash and you can go any where with it. The Non GXL is rear wheel drive and the hubs are locked from the axle so you will have to get out to do it

Petrol versions (easily noted by the 4500 Twin cam sticker on the rear 1/4 panel under the rear window, and a not so black exhaust) is also more thirsty i think mainly because they rev heigh (sit about 2500 at 100kmh)

Never driven an auto petrol so i have nothing to say about it

They are a good vehicle hence the price

What bad is said about the 80 series? i have never looked

Also the early (1970-1980 ish) 70 series are good, just dont be to harsh with the clutch, because they will either blow the diff, strip an axle or break an axle

Let me know how you go

-Geoff

If you need to contact me, E-Mail me on unleashedv12s@gmail.com or text me 0417450777

#3 Unleashed V12s

Unleashed V12s

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 07:04 AM

Just had a quick look in the Perth Area This one is in Byford, it has been jacked up..alot

https://www.gumtree....iser/1155443251

It has been looked after and has had alot of work done to it

Just a lil note the petrol ones are alot cheaper and easier to find than the diesel

And the Auto diesel

#4 Craig Johnston

Craig Johnston

who's that???

• Members
  • 604 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 08:30 PM

I would also look at the Prado, both the 120 and 90 series. Smaller vehicle in size (similar to you Pathfinder), just as reliable as the bigger cruisers and with Toyotas legendary build quality. You could almost guarantee to pick up a decent one with most of them not venturing far off road. You may have to out lay a few more $$$ for a diesel, but not a necessity. I have a 120 petrol Prado that ive owned since 60,000km (now has 265,000km) and apart from regular servicing has cost me nothing, touch wood. Petrol may be a few dolllars more at the pump, but cheaper at the mechanics.

Would a dual cab work? Early Rodeo or Hilux?

Another option could be a Ford Territory if it doesn't have to be 4WD

• Unleashed V12s likes this

#5 Heidi

Heidi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 07:20 AM

Thanks for the responses guys. I have been told that the 80 series might be too big for me. I sat in a couple at dealers and they did feel very big. I didn't test drive though. maybe I should go back and at least take one for a drive.

Almost brought a 2004 Pajero but an RAC check picked up potential problems with the turbo (oil in the intake) so I bailed out on the purchase.

Thanks for the advice, I'll test drive an 80 series later in the week and keep looking.

Thanks again

#6 sharkcaver

sharkcaver

• Members
  • 571 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 05:34 PM

Thanks for the responses guys. I have been told that the 80 series might be too big for me. I sat in a couple at dealers and they did feel very big. I didn't test drive though. maybe I should go back and at least take one for a drive.

Almost brought a 2004 Pajero but an RAC check picked up potential problems with the turbo (oil in the intake) so I bailed out on the purchase.

Thanks for the advice, I'll test drive an 80 series later in the week and keep looking.

Thanks again

Oil in the intake wont be a turbo issue. It will be a crankcase breather issue - of which all vehicles without a catch can will suffer. The issue with the 2002-2006 Pajero is now becoming the fuel pump as they age. Only one place in WA is set up to service this rare pump and they will charge you the same to rebuild a failed one as a new one from Mits. A measly $4700. Ask me how I know Grrrrr. The 2007-2009 NS auto's suffer from dreaded DPF issues. So for your budget, I wouldn't suggest a Paj, even though I have one and have been well Pajero labotomised. Love that car...... just not one for 10K or under.

https://lh3.googleus...G=w1024-h683-no

Thick skinned :bootyshak :smt005:smt005:smt005

#7 Heidi

Heidi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 10:07 AM

Thanks Sharkcaver.

Things just seem to get more and more confusing. One mechanic says turbo needs a rebuild  another says it's not a problem. On another forum most say it's not an issue and a $99 part sorts the problem.

first I've read on the fuel pump issue and I googled heaps before I considered the purchase.

I've looked at so many cars Pajeros and Prados mainly based google search info. All the Prados on my price range have up around the 340k to 500k on the clock while the Pajeros seem to have under or just over 300k for the most part. Most of the Pajeros seem to be in pretty good condition for the age and well looked after. Most of the Prado seem to have had a hard life and are borderline falling apart.

Maybe I should buy a $1000 falcon wagon and hope it lasts a year, at least that way I can buy 8-10 years worth of falcons for the price of a Paj or Prado.

#8 sharkcaver

sharkcaver

• Members
  • 571 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 10:37 AM

Have a look at that other site re fuel pump failure. After suffering that failure myself, then seeing how many others have gone down since, as much as I hate to say it, I wouldn't be buying one unless it has had a recent pump replacement. You will pay a premium for any 4wd, so if 4wd is not actually needed, your limited funds would probably be best invested elsewhere, getting more bang for buck. That said, you should get a much better version in petrol over diesel, the issue there is potentially the difference in fuel economy. Some say the difference in fuel economy more than compensates for the additional maintenance cost of a diesel. I'm not sure I subscribe to that theory myself though.

http://bfy.tw/DfKj

Thick skinned :bootyshak :smt005:smt005:smt005

#9 DaveW Preggy Surf

DaveW Preggy Surf

• Members
  • 1034 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 07:01 AM

Ford territory?
You can get them pretty cheap now - seem em down to $2k, but I am sure that would be pretty iffy.
Could certainly get a goodun for way less than $10k.
AWD is not an off roader, but would handle dirt and slippery. If the tribute was ok, the territory will be.
I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my father - not screaming in terror like the passengers in the car he was driving at the time.1985 FJ62 Sahara on gas 2" higher in the tail. Nuthin' else.

#10 WasHottuna

WasHottuna

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 04:59 PM

You soon get use to driving a big car. You have so much more vision. Go test drive some.

#11 Unleashed V12s

Unleashed V12s

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 05:09 AM

Personally i love big cars,..

The 80 series is a big car but there are bigger.. my nanna is about ... 5' ish and she loves them

70 series are also a reliable car, dont be to harsh on the clutch or you will eventually strip an axle, ask me how i know 0_o, but they do go forever

The falcon... be careful with them i friend has an AU and i just sealed up the inside of the engine with chemi-weld, and i drove one while interstate that had the same thing done to it so it seems a common problem

(this was an older model but same engine)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users