Perth4x4.net Forums

Go Back   Perth4x4.net Forums > 4x4 Discussion > Garage > Tyres

Notices

Old 17-05-2010

Default Why HT tires should stay on the road

Hi everyone,

I've been looking around the site for a while, and thought I might post up something that some of you may find interesting.

I have worked in the Pilbara on and off for the last three years, travelling as projects have needed, and have had pretty good luck with tyres. Up until recently, the tyres I have used the most have been the typical V-Steels used on mining vehicles, mainly in 100-series wagons. In that time I had a single slow leak which I had to change one morning.

Second most used vehice for me were the Prado hire cars: I've spent probably half the time behind the wheel compared to my 100 series and had about 5 punctures on various tyres, mostly with the HT tires and one or two on ATs.

Earlier this year I moved up to Tom Price and work gave me a new Hilux hire car which had about 5000kms on the clock and with near new OEM rubber on it - Bridgestone HT Duelers. (I took a photo of the spare tyre before I handed it back to Thrifty, and that is how most of the tyres looked when I picked up the car!). I travel a lot for my job, and just over half of my time is spent on dirt roads so I wasn't expecting much from these tyres.

My initial scepticism seemed unfounded, as although they had absolutely zero grip I didn't get a puncture for a month. I have to admit that I was mildly surprised by this. In the three months and 10,000kms I had the car I did get just that one puncture, so they performed reasonably well on that front. However, if you'll look at the photos below, you'll see the tires weren't exactly legal by the time I finished with them.

Main problem: After one month of use, the tread had lost any discernible trace to the orginal pattern. The rocky roads had smashed the tread into a general "bumpy" pattern! Also, about a week before I gave the car back, I noticed that there were large chunks of rubber missing where the steel belt was now visible (you can see it in the photos). This damage wasn't actually caused by doing any serious four wheel driving as I only needed low range once during the three months, most of it was just from 80kph driving on dirt/rock access roads.

I've now changed vehicle to a 70 series wagon with some decent Bridgestones. Despite what people say, you can actually get tyres with steel ply sidewalls, Bridestone V-Steel M890 and 857 tyres have them but they are an AT tread pattern with no mud clearing ability. You'll need chains if you want some mud performance.

Anyway, that's a long winded story to explain the photos below. Really, it's just another reason to upgrade from your OEM tyres.

Photos are:
* Spare tyre as new
* Stuffed tread
* One of the many sections of ply showing through
* My personal hilux on top of one of the local hill climbs, literally 30 seconds out of town.

Apologies for the quality of the photos, I only had my phone with me at the time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00010-20100418-1557.jpg (83.2 KB, 260 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00007-20100418-1556.jpg (82.4 KB, 258 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00008-20100418-1557.jpg (86.2 KB, 260 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00005-20100406-1754.jpg (88.0 KB, 260 views)
Old 17-05-2010
captain awesome

Wow, those tyres have been obliterated! Really does bring to light that HTs are for the blacktop only!
Old 17-05-2010
i heart my hilux

Location: driving over pedestrians/smaller vehicles somewhere near you

I work not too far from tom price and i think you will find that any kind of tyre be in muddy or at or whatever gets chipped up just the same at those speeds on those roads.

We have a few hilux's and they did the same thing to their stock h/t tyres in about 10,000 km's. One of them was then fitted with bfg all terrains to see if they lasted any better. They did last better but the damage after the 10,000 didnt look that different to the other tyres the thing keeping them going was the fact they have much deeper tread and it takes longer to get through it all.
Old 17-05-2010
my leaf springs > coils

What pressure were you running?
Old 17-05-2010
Matt

HAHA If you want pictures of tyres that look like that , I can get heaps ...

I work UnderGround ... All the UnderGround only Cruisers get cheap M.R.F tyres , which have decent sized solid lugs (no siping) and they only last a month at the most.

All the Cruisers that do 50/50 underground / street duty get whatever HT style of tyre that is going cheap ..... they end up the same as those pics above. Generally , the tyres with bigger more solid the lugs last longer, only due to abrasion resistance.

Due to the roads underground and the surface service roads being made from crushed rock , we get a lot of tyre spin ( all running low range) . Any tyre gets cut up just like those pics
Old 17-05-2010
going to hell in a HJ60

most vehicles up here (cloudbreak) are running bfg km2s, they're rooted within 15-20K km. max driving on iron ore all day. i'll sneak a photo of one tomorrow and post it up.

KZ Offroaders 4WD Club of WA (KZ065)
Old 17-05-2010

I ran them a bit softer than I normally would for high speed highway driving. I don't have a compressor on board, plus I my driving is often 100km of highway followed by 50-60kms of dirt so I don't air up and down all the time as it's not practical. Can't remember exact PSI though. Basically, harder than I should have for gravel, softer than I should for road.

Interestingly, I ran it in 4H most of the time I was off road to minimise wheelspin and I didn't spin them hugely. The front tyres were definitely better looking than the rears, but were at least 50% worn as well.

The V-Steels on the cruisers at work manage to hold their shape quite well, but the M890 on the back of the 70 wagon looks similar to the photos up top. Not sure how many kms that one has done though as I picked the vehicle up with 52000kms on it.

The cheap ATs on my personal 'lux (Kingstar Dynamic) held up reasonably well on a recent 1200km jaunt to Running Waters sitting at 80-100kph on the dirt. I noticed that when I left it in 2H on the way home that the rears copped a lot more damage than when it was in 4H on the way there.
Old 17-05-2010
4x4 Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeTz View Post
The cheap ATs on my personal 'lux (Kingstar Dynamic) held up reasonably well on a recent 1200km jaunt to Running Waters sitting at 80-100kph on the dirt. I noticed that when I left it in 2H on the way home that the rears copped a lot more damage than when it was in 4H on the way there.
sorry for the hijack but is Running Waters still crystal clear ,any pics?
it is one of the best waterholes i have ever been to ,December 93 I think I last was there

as for the tyres yep thats the Pilbara have to love the roads up there we averaged 15k with duelers on loaded leafy trols before they were u/s when I was drilling up that way
Old 19-05-2010

Running Waters was beautiful. You could see the bottom from the other side, only problem that we had were the people who were 50+ but acting like they were 15 with loud music cranking and generally making a nuisance of themselves.

Bit of a drive (8hr+) from Tom Price, so I probably won't go again but if you are in the area it is well worth checking out. Carawine Gorge apparently copped a big flood a couple of years ago which cleared out a lot of the trees but that should be back to itself old self in a few years I guess. I'll post a couple of pics up in a different thread as I don't have them on my work computer at the moment.
Old 19-05-2010
What Are You Wearing?

The pilbara will do that to any tyre, regardless of whether it is a HT or comp-spec bias ply.

The only way around it is to drop tyre pressures and drive 10km/h, but that doesn't happen with the majority of vehicles up that way being mine or hire cars, driven at road pressure and a gazillion miles an hour.