Perth4x4.net Forums

Go Back   Perth4x4.net Forums > 4x4 Discussion > Garage > The Shed

Notices

Old 26-08-2006

Default 1HZ rebuild or replace

Hi does anyone recommend a cylinder boring machine shop in western australia. 1Hz toyota engine block currently dia 94.55mm. Current pistons are Armour Plate (steel top)and measure dia 94.38/94.40 measured 58.6mm down from top and 90 deg from gudeon pin. Does anyone know where these pistons are available from. Also the workshop manual talks about using plastigage to work out correct bearing clearense. Is it easy to work out . Previous owner had repco gem engine fitted 40,000kms ago and when I bought this lemon/problem I quickly found the oil problem. Engine was stipped in car by cobby diesel in Brisbane. Head was stripped /checked /reconditioned turbo was stipped/rebuilt, engine was reringed 20000kms ago and then had massive blowby which caused the crankcase to pressurise and pump 2 ltr of oil out the breather in 200kms. This was the exact origional problem. I've now stripped the engine almost and intend rebuilding it myself. Any tips or information will be appreciated.I recieved a quote from Sweeting&Denney today. we can rebore to 1MM for $220.00 +GST and pistons and rings with alfin
insert are $801.09 GST.. Or we can re-sleeve the block and re-use your
existing pistons for $1140.00 +GST and new rings $215.09 +GST. I also have a price from toyota drive in drive out $10300 plus injector pump if i dont use mine. I must admit its tempting. Which way should I go. It will cost me about $3000 to do it myself.

thanks Paul
Old 28-08-2006

Why go to Toyota? They cant rebore an engine and would send it out and would most likely get them to do the assembly as well and wack a few $$$$$ on top.

I got some prices today from various engine rebuilders to do a spare 1HZ I have and they varied from $2500 to $5000 depending on whether rebuild the old head and use ACL rebuild kits or you use a new cyl head and Japanese rebuild kits.

1HZ pumps cost anywhere from a $200 to $1800
Old 29-08-2006

speak to murray (martin7). he''ll help you out.
Old 29-08-2006

sweeting also do rebuilds did ya ask 4 a price?
Old 29-08-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscohzj73
Why go to Toyota? They cant rebore an engine and would send it out and would most likely get them to do the assembly as well and wack a few $$$$$ on top.

I got some prices today from various engine rebuilders to do a spare 1HZ I have and they varied from $2500 to $5000 depending on whether rebuild the old head and use ACL rebuild kits or you use a new cyl head and Japanese rebuild kits.

1HZ pumps cost anywhere from a $200 to $1800
I think these el cheopo rebuilds are the original problem he speaks of. If you have ever had work done on a diesal motor you will see there is no way they would be rebuilding it for that sort of cash. 5 grand would barely get you a head and a quick rings and bearings let alone a proper rebuild
Old 30-08-2006

Default toyota 1hz

Hi guys,
the toyota price was for a brand new engine (take your old engine home with you). I did'nt think to ask Sweeting& Denny for rebuild price, but i am committed to doing it myself. It will be good experience. By the weekend I will have the block out and next week hope to send it to Sweeting& Denny for rebore and steel top pistons.
cheers Paul.
Old 30-08-2006
kikkkkin azzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVOE
I think these el cheopo rebuilds are the original problem he speaks of. If you have ever had work done on a diesal motor you will see there is no way they would be rebuilding it for that sort of cash. 5 grand would barely get you a head and a quick rings and bearings let alone a proper rebuild
Are diesels more expensive to get work done to? Why?
Old 30-08-2006
Happy as a PIG in Sh!t

I also have a price from toyota drive in drive out $10300 plus injector pump if i dont use mine. I must admit its tempting.

I can supply & fit a LOW KM 1HDT (factory turbo) drive in drive out for $12895.00inc gst + you can keep your old motor

I fit new custom 3" exhaust sytem, heavy duty clutch, new water pump, timing belt & big end bearings
comes with 6month/10000km warranty

And the work is carried out by qualified diesel mechanics
Old 03-09-2006
Bitter Emu

If you had a blowby problem after the pistons were re ringed, id say that was a fitting problem ie. the fitter has lined up all the ring gaps together and you are getting combustion gas to the sump that way. If i was me (which i am) Id do it all myself. peice of piss to rebuild an engine... If you know what your doing.And as for your plastigauge, thats just to ensure proper bearing crush.
Old 05-09-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaMo
Are diesels more expensive to get work done to? Why?
hell yea but dont know why. I had a head and sideplate replaced on my 2h motor for 3 and a half 2 grand for the head 500 for the side plate and a grand labour.