Perth4x4.net Forums

Go Back   Perth4x4.net Forums > 4x4 Discussion > Garage > The Shed

Notices

Old 30-03-2007
BFGEFITB42GQ4WD

Default Waeco fridge problem

I've been having an intermittent problem with my 50L waeco for about 6 months now. Problem being... the error light flashes and compressor cuts out. Error code means low voltage. Even though it isn't getting low voltage (tried 2 batteries and a 14.5V power supply) On 240V it runs fine. After trying everything I could think of including cutting the cig lighter plug off... I took it in under warranty on monday. Just rang the guy to see how it's doing... he says he's ordered a polyfuse from waeco...

So me being me... google "polyfuse waeco" and come up with this from the exploroz forum

Spoke to a mate who's a service agent for Waeco and showed him this post. The problem is the Poly-Fuse (thermal fuse) within the control unit. Most Waeco fridges have a 5amp fuse in there which is soldered to the circuit board. Once they play up they progressively get worse, especially on hot days. He has replaced about 30 or so since Christmas last year!
Although the LOW setting will cut out at 10.7V the compressor willl actually run at 9.7V. When the fuse plays up it melts internally causing a break in connection and therefore cuts power to the compressor, cooling fan will still run. It then connects again and restarts the compressor.
They are now replacing them with a larger 10amp polyfuse.
The reason why it didn't play up when plugged into 240V is because when running of 240 it goes through a power converter down to 24v. On 24V electronics run much cooler as opposed to 12V where electronics run much warmer.
He also told me that when the fuse plays up it will try to draw heaps amps just prior to cutting power and could be monitored with an ammeter.

I gave him my CF40 and he is going to put one of these heavier duty fuses in mine even though mine still works fine as he reckons it's only a matter of time before it does the same thing.

So... if anyone else with a waeco has this problem, this is why.. don't drive yourself nuts trying to figure it out

cya!

"Once again, a knife- wielding maniac has shown us the way." -- Bart Simpson
Old 30-03-2007
Yes, I do hate you.

Yes, the lower the voltage the higher the amps and ergo there's your problem... Of course as motors, eletronics, plgus and fittings get older they get less efficiant increasing the amount of amps being drawn.. Replacing the plugs etc with decent ones would also help, but may only be a short term solution.
Old 30-03-2007
BFGEFITB42GQ4WD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-WA View Post
Yes, the lower the voltage the higher the amps and ergo there's your problem... Of course as motors, eletronics, plgus and fittings get older they get less efficiant increasing the amount of amps being drawn.. Replacing the plugs etc with decent ones would also help, but may only be a short term solution.
Yeah maybe... but my waeco started doing this 6 months from new. And it had really only had done a handful of short winter camping trips... and had only seen low voltage once. I'd say it's a design flaw or a poor choice of polyfuse. Good thing they have a 3 year warranty

Old 30-03-2007

I have a CF50 it does the same thing, until I replaced my batteries and now it seems to be OK again.... keeping an eye on it tho... thanks for finding this Jamie, well done.
Old 30-03-2007
From Pootrol To Cruiser

Jamie iv been having the same problem with my CF-50 ever since i got it about 6 months ago, and iv already sent it away to be fixed under warranty and im still having the same problems. Id happily pay for a heavier duty poly fuse to be put into it. Any idea who i can speak to 2 get it done??

cheers'

Josh
Your a moderator, are you a real person?
Old 30-03-2007
Yes, I do hate you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrol94 View Post
Jamie iv been having the same problem with my CF-50 ever since i got it about 6 months ago, and iv already sent it away to be fixed under warranty and im still having the same problems. Id happily pay for a heavier duty poly fuse to be put into it. Any idea who i can speak to 2 get it done??

cheers'

Josh
Don't know where it is, but couldn't you just bypass it and put on a normal 10amp automotive fuse/holder arangment? Surely that would be easy enough?
Old 30-03-2007
BFGEFITB42GQ4WD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrol94 View Post

cheers'

Josh
Stuart @ Tempsense is the waeco service agent I'm getting mine fixed by. He doesn't have a shop, but picks up and delivers work from Fridge and Washer city in Balcatta.. send me a PM if you want his mobile number.

The other service people near perth was Lyons in kewdale... they told me it'd be 3 weeks before they'd have a chance to look at it..

Old 31-03-2007

Went through all this with my 80L. Could run it off 240V no problems. But as soon as i put it in the car, The error light came on. Took it to Custom Car and Boat Electrics and the problem was fixed in no time. The wiring for the rear cigarette lighter just wasn't big enough. It has run like a ripper since.

TRUST ME......I'VE DONE THIS BEFORE....

I THOUGHT I WAS WRONG ONCE, BUT I WAS MISTAKEN.
Old 31-03-2007
Stukzuki

Are you guys running them off the standard car ciggie outlet, a custom outlet, or the Waeco outlet/extension ? Just curious as i bought a CF40 a couple months ago and managed to scam the Waeco ext. out of the seller, haven't used it in the car yet, hoping to over easter, will be interesting to see how it goes especially as I only have the one starter battery.
Old 31-03-2007
BFGEFITB42GQ4WD

Most the time mine is running off this portable waeco battery. But, it's ****ting me off for numerous reasons, so soon I'll replace it with a 120Ah AGM battery(in the back) with a redarc battery isolator ... and I've decided the 50A anderson plugs seem solid enough, and easy enough to use for various purposes since there is no male/female..

And before anyone blames the little battery for my fridge problems... It's been tested from several other 12V power sources directly with the same results