Perth4x4.net Forums

Go Back   Perth4x4.net Forums > 4x4 Discussion > Garage > The Shed

Notices

Old 15-12-2008

the oil Brunswick has a fair amount of balls
few of my mates run them in there 75 series few problems with injector
pumps and dropping valves ,
but for the 17g i would be putting a big turbo intercooled gas system on her(they seize the small end bushes as they get to hot without a oil cooler or intercooler ) but when done right they work a charm .or the old supercharger
Old 15-12-2008

hav also had to make the same choice recently
had a patrol with TB42
sold that and bought another with TD42 with intercooler, aftermarket turbo, blow off valve, exhaust upgrades etc
this ended up only costing another 4 grand on what we sold the petrol patrol for
now am looking into injector/pump mods and gauges(maybe gas)to get the power that i know is in this engine
this will then giv you pretty much the same if not more power then a 6.5 chevy without a turbo
this saves about 12 grand in the end (a round australia holiday and more) yet still gives you decent power and better fuel economy
Old 15-12-2008
Yes, I do hate you.

Expensive or not it seems like every second bloody cruiser and GU down here in the south west has got a 6.5 Chev sticker on the side doors!
Old 15-12-2008
John Deer Recovery

Was this 60 series a white wagon.Cause good mate of mine has a 60 series wagon with a lexus v8 turbo with an a turbo 400 auto...this thing beat his own new 2008 VE GTS 317kw.
Old 15-12-2008

it'd make sense the pro brunswick crew would be needing to justify to themselves why they put a mighty big hole in their wallet.

Exactly

Stepdaughters hubby forked out the big dollars for this conversion to tow in his 80 and it's a POS.

Drinks fuel on it's own, I can hear him coming miles away and you need earmuffs inside, all in all an utter disarster and a screwed 80.

Go for something more modern.
Old 15-12-2008

Yep I spent over 30k putting one in and what a joke my missus's 4.7l petrol used the same fuel and was twice as powerfull. Overheating issues , if your gonna toddle around with a non turbo manual then prob ok but auto and turbo running 10 pounds boost = overheating POS . Save your money they are a bad design in the cooling dept. The Duramax on the other hand if only they would fit !
Old 16-12-2008
Adventure before dementia

Thanks for the feedback everyone, I was under the impression that it would cost around 17 grand for the conversion plus any work neeing doing to the driveline (clutch etc). Just been looking at an eagle auto parts ctalogue and you can get an LS3 6.2 L hot cam crate engine that cranks out 500 hp and 600 - 700 nm of torque , dunno about price though figuring around same price as the chev diesel plus fitting etc
Old 16-12-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackitup View Post
Was this 60 series a white wagon.Cause good mate of mine has a 60 series wagon with a lexus v8 turbo with an a turbo 400 auto...this thing beat his own new 2008 VE GTS 317kw.
Gday mate nah this was a gun metal grey 60 series with the back of it chopped off behind the rear seats and converted into a trayback
Old 16-12-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by harts View Post
hav also had to make the same choice recently
had a patrol with TB42
sold that and bought another with TD42 with intercooler, aftermarket turbo, blow off valve, exhaust upgrades etc
this ended up only costing another 4 grand on what we sold the petrol patrol for
now am looking into injector/pump mods and gauges(maybe gas)to get the power that i know is in this engine
this will then giv you pretty much the same if not more power then a 6.5 chevy without a turbo
this saves about 12 grand in the end (a round australia holiday and more) yet still gives you decent power and better fuel economy
Thanks for the info Harts am reconsidering the turbo option now, thought the chev diesel option may give better fuel economy but it doesnt sound like it will especially for the cost. We will probably do the usual mods (lift a couple of inches, 33 inch mud tyres) but nothing too extreme cause it will be used for camping and touring etc and the old TD42 is a solid ol truck engine.
Old 16-12-2008

you could always just live with it being slow, you will save a heap money that you would never see again, also save on speeding tickets as well