Perth4x4.net Forums

Go Back   Perth4x4.net Forums > 4x4 Discussion > Garage > The Shed

Notices

Old 11-01-2009

Default suzuki SPOA?

g,day guys, before i do any mods to my suzuki i wanna know what i'm gettin myself into. the one thing i cannot get my head around is how does a spring under axle lift actually lift the vehicle enabling bigger tyres, such as 33's even 35's!
I have read a number of threads on this site and others and have seen how it is done, and understand that you use the standard leaf springs, but is there something i'm missing? I dont see how it actually lifts the vehicle and what size lifts are we talking?
Old 11-01-2009
< THE MIDGET is growing

first of all what is your question?...
a spring over axel(spoa) conversion will take the leaf springs from underneath your diff and will put them on top i think it gives you around 4inchs of lift with standard springs. as far as i know its no the easiest thing to do as you will need to weld new spring pads on top of the diff and get your castor angles and pinion angles correct. if you are looking at doing this you will need to talk to an engineer because they are not legal with out a lane chnage test and need to be engineered.

a leaf sprung car wether it be spring over or spring under gets its lift by using a spring pack with a bigger arch, but (just to confuse you) by doing this and fitting bigger tyres the tires may rub on the gaurds because although the spring is lifted it still has the oppertunity to go to full compression which will cause the tires to rub. to stop this longer bump stops are recomended but not necesserely needed. i hope this helps somewhat but if it has confused you then im sorry.

1 more question, do you want to fit 33's or 35's to your sierra? if so why?
Old 11-01-2009

aww ok i see where i'm gettin mislead. the springs come standaard over the axle and the conversion (SPOA) is actually taking them and putting them above the axle and thats where the lift comes from! man that was pretty stupid of me...sorry bout that!
Old 11-01-2009
speed demon..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam View Post
aww ok i see where i'm gettin mislead. the springs come standard under the axle and the conversion (SPOA) is actually taking them and putting them above the axle and thats where the lift comes from! man that was pretty stupid of me...sorry bout that!
standard suzuki sierra is spring under axle..

what you wanna do is spring over axle which is placing the standard spring ontop of the axle this is were you are getting your lift from on standard springs..

brodie
Old 11-01-2009
Non-Member

the gears and lift required to run 33"s with springs under axle will set you back about $4100-$4500 if you install all the gear yourself. And you will prob have to move your front diff forward 30-35mm. add another couple of grand if you are paying a workshop to do it all. Then all your axles will break and you will want to upgrade everything else
Old 11-01-2009
speed demon..

standard suzuki sierra spring under axle...

spring over axle what you want ...

not the best example but it shows you the difference between the two k ..

brodie
Old 11-01-2009
< THE MIDGET is growing

Quote:
Originally Posted by understimulated View Post
Then all your axles will break and you will want to upgrade everything else
hehehe, speaking from experience are we? i remember a certain snap crackle pop of a green zook down at harvey lol
Old 11-01-2009
Stukzuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by understimulated View Post
the gears and lift required to run 33"s with springs under axle will set you back about $4100-$4500 if you install all the gear yourself. And you will prob have to move your front diff forward 30-35mm. add another couple of grand if you are paying a workshop to do it all. Then all your axles will break and you will want to upgrade everything else
3 inch springs = $958 http://www.locktup4x4.com.au/catalog...1edb7d2a1.aspx

2 inch bodylift = $259 http://www.locktup4x4.com.au/catalog...1edb7d2a1.aspx

6.5 gears = $899 http://www.locktup4x4.com.au/catalog...1edb7d2a1.aspx

Driveline spacers = $100 http://www.locktup4x4.com.au/catalog...1edb7d2a1.aspx

Bushes = $65 http://www.suzistore.com.au/shopdisp...RRA+SJ70-W%2FT

U-bolts = $88 http://www.suzistore.com.au/shopdisp...RRA+SJ70-W%2FT

Fitting yourself parts will cost you just under $2400. Move diff forward by redrilling spring perch, you may need to lower your bumpstops which is easy enough with steel square tube, and if you manage to get the flex out of the springs then add extended brakelines for around $150. You shouldn't start breaking too much until you lock the front end or upgrade the motor and have a heavy right boot.

Liam as Simon said to you in the other thread work out what type of 4wding you want to do before you start worrying about what mods you will need to fit what tyres.
Old 11-01-2009
Tom Outlaws 4X4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG B View Post
s

Whos is this car?

Just at a glance i can see numerous things wrong with that setup!
Old 11-01-2009

yeah i want to do more mundaring style driving, through quite rough terrain, some rock climbing, mud, etc. not so much beach driving. I just thought that SPOA might be they way to go, judging what other people have posted on other threads in regards to it being cheaper to do if i wanted to run the larger tyres. I will be getting transfer gears and eventually a rear locker. i also understand that it does require it too be done correctly to be effective and i'm not too worried bout the legal side of things as i have another car for a daily driver and this will basically be a weekend warrior, maybe the odd run to the shops, but thats it.
sorry bout all the questions, i'm totally new to the game.