Perth4x4.net Forums

Go Back   Perth4x4.net Forums > General Discussion > The Backyard

Notices

Old 16-09-2010

Default Patrol vs Pajero

Time has come to upgrade the family car... looking to get an 06 Prado, Pajero, Patrol. Not my ideal 4x4, but it all comes down to money and the fact that this car will spend more time on the tarmac than off. Still have the old bush basher for any serious 4x4ing.

Just really want to know... are their any models to stay away from.
I am thinking diesel for economy and reliability but am not sure whether the smaller turbo models are underpowered - particulary in the Patrols.

Buying a 'city' 4x4 goes against my better nature, but I'd rather that, than a Tarago!

Let me know if there are any models that are lemons!
Old 17-09-2010

Hey mate,
I think both models around the 06 mark have had their problems sorted. The old Hand grenade thing on the patrols was in models around 2000. My father in law has a 07 or 08 patrol and he has just had a waste gate fitted for a bit of protection. But so far he hasnt had any dramas. Dont know much about the Pajero, they are probably more comfortable and better for day to day, but the IFS thing will hold you up a little if you do any tracks that your used to doing with your old basher. I am sure the IFS guys will say different.
I have a 03 4.2td patrol and love it, but if I was to buy a tarmac 4wd I would probably get a pajero.
Hope that helps
Old 17-09-2010
Trigger Happy

If its mostly going to be a city 4wd then the prado for me would be the winner, purely because i think it looks better and drives nicer than the vagero (i have driven both) to get a patrol would be over kill unless you want a big car, and they are big compared to the other two, and im not sure if the TD42 finished being built in 05 or 06, either way oud be paying upwards of 40K for a TD42 which leaves you with the ZD30 which even though the hand grenade issue is sorted, its still a small engine for a big car and they need to be revved to get them moving, torque is higher in the rev range if i recall.

Stick with the prado or pajero, you will be happier and they will ride nicer on the road, yet still get you onto the beach and cruisy stuff.
Old 17-09-2010
phwoarrrrr

If you're not looking to go offroad, definately get a late model pajero or prado, better bang for buck and very comfortable.

Old bloke at work as had alot of trouble with his td 07 pajero though, not to mention it struggles to tow his caravan.
Old 17-09-2010

i recon if your gonna go down the route of getting a 4wd for city use you might as well get the one with the most room. im only a younge bloke still so i can remember having to sit in the back of the old mans gu troll and various other 4wds the troll has got the prados and pajs all sawn up interms of leg room in the back (important from a kids perspective)

interms of power and fuel economy the zd30 in manual trim is pretty good and economical and i dont understand people winging about revs etc just gotta drive it the way it wants to be driven. in terms of comfort i really cant tell the difference between the prado and the troll have spent a fair bit of time in both.

and the beauty of the troll is in absolute stock standard trim it will do stuff like the plines track and match alot of other 4bys that have had a fair few mods.

just my 2c
Old 17-09-2010
Love you long time

head over to the pajero club of victoria forum, lots of info on the gen3 and gen4 paj's, same for the prado forum
Old 19-09-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanWA View Post
If you're not looking to go offroad, definately get a late model pajero or prado, better bang for buck and very comfortable.

Old bloke at work as had alot of trouble with his td 07 pajero though, not to mention it struggles to tow his caravan.

Do you know what sort of trouble he had with the Pajero... 07 might be a year we are looking at...
Old 19-09-2010
IFS Represent

Mate, the DID Pajeros are a great car for onroad driving and towing but of course some people cant see the 10K saving over an equivalent prado because of the toyota badge....

And they can match the prado out in the bush easily.
Old 19-09-2010

The more I am thinking about it all, the more I am leaning towards the Pajeros... I am thinking of going for the TD as the Petrol seems pretty thirsty from what I have heard. I know it is the age old debate of Diesel vs Petrol, but I guess I have always preferred Diesel over Petrol.
Old 20-09-2010

How about a 22006 Pathfinder?
Comfortable, space and much cheaper then the Prado.
I had one for 3 years and it was a great car.