Perth4x4.net Forums

Go Back   Perth4x4.net Forums > 4x4 Discussion > Garage > Engine + Driveline

Notices

Old 17-05-2011
Kalgoorlie hustler

Default Diff ratios for Gq Patrol

Why your all in a helpful mood quick question. I have a 93 gq patrol with 5" lift an 35" mtzs 4.2l. I currantly getting 250-280km to a 55l of gas. Im running stock diffs front an rear. What is the benifit of changing the ratios? better fuel consumption? More power? I didnt buy this car with good fuel consumption in mind so thats not a major issue. Just been on a couple of fourms were people have been stressing you must change your ratios.
Old 17-05-2011

Changing the ratio's will make it easier to get power to the ground, less load on the engine.
Imagine trying to start off in 2nd gear every time you took off, you need plenty of revs and feather the clutch cause it's too much load.
Same principle as diff ratio's.

This will help give you more usable power and make it easier on the 4b and in turns will help with fuel consumption too.

PP
Old 17-05-2011
Kalgoorlie hustler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrolling Paddy View Post
Changing the ratio's will make it easier to get power to the ground, less load on the engine.
Imagine trying to start off in 2nd gear every time you took off, you need plenty of revs and feather the clutch cause it's too much load.
Same principle as diff ratio's.

This will help give you more usable power and make it easier on the 4b and in turns will help with fuel consumption too.

PP
Explained in simple terms i like this! Anyone got a rough pricing on getting it changed? Stock is 4.1?
Old 17-05-2011
tumbeling the compost

cost shouldnt be more than $1000 if you do it your self with second hand centers ,pretty sure that the rb30 gq's had 4:3 ratios which would be the best bet for a bit better economy or 2.8d had 4:625 ratio but they might not help much ,they will raise the revs at cruising speed .

88 sahara turbo,auto lifted twin locked on 37"s
Old 17-05-2011

Your compliance plate will tell you which ratio you currently have.

Brand new genuine ring and pinions are very expensive, around the $1100 mark for one set, you need two! Roadrunner offroad on ebay has new Japanese 4.625 ratios for around $600 each set, plus shipping.

This seller has used genuine 4.625 for $500 a set
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Nissan-Pa...item2c5c5ed68e

Also give Brunswick Diesel a call as they install 3.9's in their chev v8 conversions and last heard they sell both pairs for around the $750 mark.

Its something I want to do one day also and have been reading up on it a little lately.
Some people think 4.6 ratios and 35's tyres is highly geared so revving too high while sitting on 100 kmh. 4.375 ratios and 33 inch tyres will be very close to factory 4.1 and 31/32 tyres, so running 4.375 and 35's will feel like you are running 33's with factory diff ratios.

I had a quote which was around $800 to fit the new ratios, drive in/out.

Gary
Old 17-05-2011
tumbeling the compost

yep last set i bought cost me $800 from greg at brunswick's they were almost brand new only having 11k on them out of a gu2.8 ,if you get some out of a 2.8 you might have to change the rear pinion flange too ,if your goinig to be doing 100-110 every day of the week dont get 4.6's they revved too much with 35"s but were just right with 37"s on the hwy at 110

88 sahara turbo,auto lifted twin locked on 37"s
Old 17-05-2011

Superior sell different ratio sets - genuine not aftermarket - in pretty much whatever ratio you will need. 4.6 for about $950 each genuine.

If 4.1 is your stock ratio then with 35's the 4.6 ratio will bring you back to stock.
I have the TD42, std is 4.1's but with 35's and 4.6's I am near perfect, cruising at 110km/hr puts me at about 2600rpm with the speedo almost smack on (depends on what brand tyre and how much wear).

Last time I bought a second hand center from a wreckers it was about $400 for the front and about $800 for the rear, with no real garuntee on quality (although it is still working a treat).

PP
Old 18-05-2011
Kalgoorlie hustler

I prob do 1000km a month, Kalgoorlie to esperance to cape arid. So 4.6 would be the go? Is it worth the hassle? Mmmmm. Cheers for all your help guys!
Old 18-05-2011

I never drove on the 35's and 4.1's so I can't give an experienced answer on that, however I recently got myself some 37's and still running the 4.6's it is drivable but is lacking torque/power in the slow stuff and given that the tyres are stickies I don't drive em on the road but at about 80km/hr on the dirt the difference is minimal until you accelerate and you need to drop back a lacky to get a decent response (this would be a similar step 35's and 4.1's to 4.6's and 35's to 37's and 4.6's )

Personally I would get hold of some 4.6's and bring your overall ratio back to std.

PP