Perth4x4.net Forums

Go Back   Perth4x4.net Forums > 4x4 Discussion > Garage > Engine + Driveline

Notices

Old 20-07-2006
A bit jumpy

Unhappy suzuki sierra engine options

G'day, i have a suzuki sierra (92) ive lifted it and put some reasonable tyres on it but it struggles terribly to sit on 100 now and its driving me mad, i would love nothing more then to throw the 1.3 in the bin (especially since it would fit) but i just need to know what are my options for an engine i do about 1000km a week mostly freeway in the car so econ is why i first bought it but driving everywhere flat to the floor is proving to be expensive
on fuel and the constant 3rd/4th/5th changing is getting on my nerves after 15000km (in about 2 months)
any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Alan
Old 20-07-2006
kikkkkin azzzz

C'mon mate...look below there are TWO threads about engine options for a sierra.

http://www.perth4x4.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9614

http://www.perth4x4.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9611

And you surely dont expect to be able to do 7500km's a month comfortably, and quickly in a sierra do you? Maybe a commodore would be a better option?
Old 20-07-2006
Stukzuki

There's not a great deal you can do with the 1.3l, besides the usual snorkle, extractors, if you're running larger than normal tyres go back to the 205/70/15 to help the gearing/consumption... Cheapest option would be to change all the consumables first. New fuel filter, air filter, plugs, leads, then take the top off the carby and clean all the crap out of it. Then the extractors, high flow exhaust and snorkle. Then its a EFI conversion or super charging.

As Kamo said though... people dont buy a Sierra for there comfort level and driveability, they buy them because they're cheap to run, cheap to fix, cheap to modify and damn good offroad
Old 21-07-2006
A bit jumpy

yeh im not worried about comfort or anything like that, and im sure the sierra is more likely to survive 1000kms a week then a commode, i just needed it to be able to do 100kph not lightning speeds i know its amazing off road, i need it for work as the stagea just gets a hammering from idiots who cant park and dont beleive in leaving there number if they hit you... thats why i have the sierra for work and offroad play.

It's ok i have spoken to a sierra nut mate today who has set me onthe right track and shown me his project cars, looks like ill do a few intake mods etc and extractors, if that doesnt do it then i still have a ca18det sitting here from a previous project car and might have to play with that.
Old 22-07-2006
Lover of all things Zook

try looking into a weber. there is some posts on Outer limits forums about it and supposedly doesnt affect fuel consumption once tuned right as it has its primary and secondarys to only open when putting the boot in. should help with top end and acceleration as well.

my 2 cents

or run smaller tyres for road use..?
Old 23-07-2006
blokeman

airbag suspension alan, drop the thing to 2" off the ground when your on the road .

or, take the engine out of the stagia and drop it in the mighty suzuki, use the stagia as a house and all that free bonnet space can be filled with a spa.

Old 23-07-2006
Hunter - its natural

doesnt a corolla engine go in them

or whack a vitara engine in there

failing that do the otis jobbie and whack a commodore engine in there

i noticed a imporvement by doing the following

rebuild carby(gave heaps of power, well not power, i just got back to what it should of been)

unifilter - car felt better to drive and gave improvement in power a bit, not much but a bit, after 2 services it pays for itself anyway
Old 23-07-2006
MK ALL THE WAY

Been there done that...i would have to rate the ol zook at one of my favourite cars i have ever owned..I took it down to suzishop in cannington and they installed a 1.6efi for $4000.... Now everyone might think that it is alot of money and it is but when you take it out of their driveway for the first time and can do burnouts you know you are on to a good thing... Unfortuantely for me i rolled it a couple oif months later being a idiot at lancelin...

Oh well i still consider doing it again but the ol zooks just dont have enough room for me..

Marc
Old 24-07-2006
Hunter - its natural

yeah im 6 foot 6, and they are small, reckon if they could make a big 4by as good as a zook they'd sell em by the million

but then with size u get weight